Is This Program Right For You?
To enroll in the program, you must be at least 18 years old and have 40 or more pounds to lose or a body mass index (BMI) of at least 30. You can calculate your BMI by entering your height and weight into our BMI calculator.
Due to the intensity and length of the program, it may not be the right program for you if your primary goal is to lose weight quickly for a single special event or upcoming season. You should be ready to make significant, permanent changes to your lifestyle.
You are at the right place if:
- You are 18 or older and want to lose 40 or more pounds
- You are ready to improve your health
- Your weight has caused you health problems
- Your weight has impacted how you feel about yourself
- You are willing to commit time and energy to take care of your health
- You are willing to modify your eating and physical activity
Do I need to be a Kaiser Permanente member?
The Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program is open to members and nonmembers. We have weight loss clinics in Elk Grove, CA, and other locations. Please contact the location nearest you for additional details.
Your health is important to us
At Kaiser Permanente, we take your health seriously. To ensure your safety, we will ask you to fill out a health questionnaire and one of our doctors will give you a comprehensive exam before you can enroll in the program.
Certain health conditions may restrict your ability to participate in the program. To be eligible, you must not currently experience:
- Severe mental illness
- Moderate or advanced kidney failure
- Advanced liver failure
- Active or acute medical illness such as hepatitis, bowel disease, steroid therapy, myocardial infarction, or a history of coronary artery bypass graft
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Active bulimia or anorexia
- Type 1 diabetes
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding
- Not willing to participate in physical activity
Questions to ask yourself before you begin
Starting the Medical Weight Management program is a serious and life-changing commitment. You will be taking a big step toward increasing your health and well-being and transforming your life. Take a moment and ask yourself a few questions to make sure you are ready.
- Do you have reasonable expectations for success? (The average participant loses 1 to 3 pounds per week during the Active Weight Loss phase.)
- Are you ready and willing to change your lifestyle?
- Are you able to devote the time for weekly group sessions? (Do you have any big vacations coming up?)
- Are you willing to actively participate in the weekly group sessions and perhaps share personal information?
- Are you ready and willing to actively participate in a long-term maintenance program?
- Can you engage in regular physical activity?
What if I am unable or not yet ready to join the program?
If you are not a candidate for the Medical Weight Management Program or are not ready to commit right now, and you are a Kaiser Permanente member, we offer many other resources to help you meet your weight loss goals.
Click here to get information about a number of programs and health resources including:
- Health Education classes (some classes may require a fee)
- Healthy lifestyle programs featuring online assessments and customized nutrition plans
- Information on member discounts for various program offerings and the 10,000 Steps® program1
- Healthy and tasty recipes
You can also read a variety of on-line resources regarding weight management topics.