Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program
Phone: (866) 454-3480
Is This Program Right For You?
This program is right for you if you feel ready to make significant, permanent changes to your lifestyle toward better health. It may not be right for you if your primary goal is to lose weight quickly just for a single event.
This program is a good fit for you if:
- You are 18 or older and want to lose 40 or more pounds
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 30
- You are ready to improve your health
- Your weight has caused you health problems
- Your weight has impacted how you feel about yourself
- You are willing to commit time and energy to take care of your health
- You are willing to modify your eating and physical activity
Do I need to be a Kaiser Permanente member?
The Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program is open to members and nonmembers. Please contact the location nearest you for additional details.
*Please enter all fields for an accurate BMI calculation.
If you have a BMI of 25.0 to 29.9, you may be a candidate for our program if you suffer from two or more of the following comorbidities:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Liver disease
- Low-grade inflammation
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
If you have a BMI of 30 or higher, you may be a candidate for our program.
Your health is important to us
At Kaiser Permanente, we take your health seriously. To ensure your safety, we will ask you to fill out a health questionnaire and one of our doctors will give you a comprehensive exam before you can enroll in the program.
Certain health conditions may restrict your ability to participate in the program. To be eligible, you must not currently experience:
- Unmanaged mental illness
- Moderate or advanced kidney failure
- Advanced liver failure
- Active or acute medical illness such as hepatitis, bowel disease, steroid therapy, myocardial infarction, or a history of coronary artery bypass graft
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Active bulimia or anorexia
- Type 1 diabetes
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding
- Not willing to participate in physical activity
Questions to ask yourself before you begin
Starting the Medical Weight Management Program is a serious and life-changing commitment. You will be taking a big step toward increasing your health and well-being and transforming your life. Take a moment and ask yourself a few questions to make sure you are ready.
- Do you have reasonable expectations for success? (The average participant loses 1 to 3 pounds per week during the Active Weight Loss phase.)
- Are you ready and willing to change your lifestyle?
- Are you able to devote the time for weekly group sessions? (Do you have any big vacations coming up?)
- Are you willing to actively participate in the weekly group sessions and perhaps share personal information?
- Are you ready and willing to actively participate in a long-term maintenance program?
- Can you engage in regular physical activity?
What if I am unable or not yet ready to join the program?
If you are not a candidate for the Medical Weight Management Program or are not ready to commit right now, and you are a Kaiser Permanente member, we offer many other resources to help you meet your weight loss goals.
Sign up for a Complimentary Orientation today!