Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program
Phone: (866) 454-3480
Due to the intensity and length of our medical weight loss program in California, this program is intended for long-term substantial weight loss. You should be ready to make significant, permanent changes to your lifestyle.
Are there basic criteria for joining the program?
This program may be the right for you if:
- You are 18 or older and want to lose 40 or more pounds
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 30
- You are ready to improve your health
- Your weight has caused problems with your health
- Your weight has impacted how you feel about yourself
- You are willing to commit time and energy to take care of your health
- You are willing to modify your eating and physical activity
*Please enter all fields for an accurate BMI calculation.
If you have a BMI of 25.0 to 29.9, you may be a candidate for our program if you suffer from two or more of the following comorbidities:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Liver disease
- Low-grade inflammation
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
If you have a BMI of 30 or higher, you may be a candidate for our program.
Do I need to be a Kaiser Permanente member?
The Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program is open to members and non-members. Contact the location nearest you for additional details.
Are there health conditions that might keep me from participating?
At Kaiser Permanente, we take your health seriously. To ensure your safety, we will ask you to fill out a health questionnaire and one of our doctors will give you a comprehensive exam before you can enroll in the program.
Certain health conditions may restrict your ability to participate in the program. You are ineligible for the program if you are currently experiencing any of the following:
- Unmanaged mental illness
- Moderate or advanced kidney failure
- Advanced liver failure
- Active or acute medical illness such as hepatitis, bowel disease, steroid therapy, myocardial infarction, or a history of coronary artery bypass graft
- Current drug and/or alcohol abuse
- Active bulimia or anorexia
- Type 1 diabetes
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Unwilling to participate in physical activity
How do I know if I’m ready to join the program?
Starting the Medical Weight Management Program is a serious and life-changing commitment. You will be taking a big step toward improving your health and well-being—and transforming your life. Take a moment to ask yourself the following questions to make sure you are ready:
- Do I have reasonable expectations for success? (The average participant loses 1 to 3 pounds per week during the Active Weight Loss phase.)
- Am I ready and willing to change my behaviors and lifestyle?
- Am I able to devote the time for weekly group sessions? (Do you have any big vacations coming up?)
- Am I willing to actively participate in the weekly group sessions and perhaps share personal information?
- Am I ready and willing to actively participate in a long-term maintenance program?
- Can I engage in regular physical activity?
If you answered “yes” to each of the previous questions, the program is probably right for you.
What if I am unable or not yet ready to join the program?
If you are not a candidate for the Medical Weight Management Program or are not ready to commit right now, and you are a Kaiser Permanente member, we offer many other resources to help you meet your weight loss goals.
How do I get started?
If it sounds like our program is right for you, here’s how to get started:
- Fill out a questionnaire. Before accepting you into the program, we need some information from you to help increase your likelihood of success. Download, print, and complete our questionnaire and email it to your local program manager before your orientation session. Download questionnaire.
- Schedule and attend a complimentary Medical Weight Management Program orientation session online. It’s a good idea to review your schedule beforehand so you know when you will be able to make appointments.
- Schedule and complete a physical evaluation and health assessment appointment. To become active in the Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program, you must have a current physical evaluation and health assessment by a Medical Weight Management provider. If the program is right for you, we will schedule an appointment for your health assessment and lab work when you sign up.
Please join us for a 1-hour, complimentary, online orientation session where you can find out more about our Medical Weight Management Program and pricing. Browse through our orientation calendar today!
Review our FAQ page to learn more.Back to Top